As you see here, there are many ways in which WNBA members can get involved with our service project with The Reading Connection (TRC). For more information or to register to be a reading volunteer, contact Judy Hijikata at jhijikata [at] gmail.com or visit The Reading Connection’s web site.
Become a Reading Connection Reader:
- Read aloud with children living in Virginia homeless shelters.
- Be part of a team of readers sharing books with children.
- Conduct reading-related activities.
- Read aloud about 12 times a year and attend training and planning meetings.
Volunteer to help with TRC events:
- Work with children and families at special reading events.
- Represent TRC at county, volunteer, and craft fairs.
- Help conduct workshops for parents.
Participate in book drives:
- Initiate one
- Donate new or near-new books at WNBA programs
- Work with bookstores/publishers to donate books.
Participate in the November “Help the Homeless” 5K Walk-A-Thon.
- Organize a team of WNBA walkers and promote WNBA’s efforts to help homeless kids become life-long readers.
Sew book bags (pattern provided by TRC): each child receives a book bag filled with books and drawing and writing supplies.
Sell book pins to raise money for The Reading Connection.
Make a monetary donation and urge your friends to do the same, or contribute through the United Way or Combined Federal Campaign